Author Topic: Workout Routines  (Read 331 times)

vripley

• Administrator
  • temet nosce
Workout Routines
« on: February 25, 2019, 10:27:28 AM »
What do you do to stay fit and healthy from a workout standpoint?

My primary source of physical well-being is weight lifting. Throughout the years I find it to be the most beneficial for my body. I also ride a bicycle (road and mountain bike), run (mostly short distances these days), and do yoga and tai chi sometimes. Oh, and I swim when I get access to a pool, river, lake, bay, or ocean.

My go to weight lifting routine is based on Arthur Jones's HIT (High Intensity Training) routine. Essentially, you do a full body workout that includes one set per body part. A set takes about seven seconds (three plus seconds down and three plus seconds up) with slow deliberate repetitions. The entire workout takes about twenty-seven minutes and I do it two or three times per week.

aRKaNity

Re: Workout Routines
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 12:09:31 AM »
I'm quite impressed. My workout usually involves getting out of bed and fixing breakfast.

vripley

• Administrator
  • temet nosce
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 08:32:32 AM »
I'm quite impressed. My workout usually involves getting out of bed and fixing breakfast.
Ha! I do that some mornings as well...

TylerDurdinUMD

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2019, 05:35:54 PM »
Over the last 5 years I've switched from lots of running with biking and some swimming (the triathlete workouts) to mostly weightlifting, with some swimming, running and yoga.  I feel just as fit, and really enjoy it.

The yoga is probably the single best thing I do for myself.  Combats all the stiffness and posture challenges created by my desk-job.  Deadlift makes me feel the strongest.  And Clean-and-Jerk is the most fun.

I also just joined an adult volleyball league last month, once a week.  I used to play a lot in high school, college, and a few years after, then took about 12 years off due to kids, school, work, kids, more kids... wait, where did all these kids come from?

vripley

• Administrator
  • temet nosce
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2019, 10:55:36 AM »
Following my periodization rules, I recently switched to a standard Pull, Push, Legs hypertrophy routine. Because I run and ride, I only do legs one day... However, I do throw a deadlift (the best movement) into one of my Pull days. My routine looks like this:

Mon: Pull 1 (includes deadlift)
Tue: Push 1
Wed: Legs
Thu: Pull 2 (a little different from Mon)
Fri: Push 2 (different from Push 1)

Each daily weight lifting routine has four compound exercises (3 sets of each) and I keep it inside of 30 minutes, including about 2 minutes rest between sets (for hypertrophy).

My next periodization will be Wendler's 5/3/1 strength workout.