Author Topic: Savage World Character Creation  (Read 244 times)

TylerDurdinUMD

Savage World Character Creation
« on: February 27, 2019, 07:22:15 PM »
Any good tips on character creation for SW?

Also, how "tough" are starting characters in SW?  Are they like level 1 D&D characters, 1 good axe hit from devastation, and only able to throw one spell a day before they're spent (unless they can get some little blue pills from the pharmacist...)?

vripley

• Administrator
  • temet nosce
Re: Savage World Character Creation
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 08:18:15 PM »
Awesome question! maybe Paul or some of the others have tips and ideas... I am just getting a grasp around creating the character. To me, they don't seem very tough, but Bennies make up for that. Once you are shaken you can be hosed pretty quickly/easily... Think about the type of fighting and defending style your character will have and head in that direction. Novice character at level 1 are very vulnerable. You probably won't fight the Ring Wraiths on day one... I have a feeling that most first seasons will be used to build our knowledge and skills. For example, settings that I have planned has the guys becoming legendary by the end (over level 16). They should be battle hardened and bad ass.

p.s. Rather than what the core rule book says, I prefer to create my characters in this order:

1. Imagine an idea of what I want and how the character fits into the plot/setting
2. Choose Race
3. Pick Hindrances
4. Add Edges
5. Decide on Traits
6. Fill my inventory
7. Check anything impacted by inventory or other stragglers and verify everything is kosher
8. Design my background
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 03:39:38 PM by vripley »

vripley

• Administrator
  • temet nosce
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 08:47:08 PM »
I found a nice forum topic that covers some of this:
http://archive.pegforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=33155

mvslider

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2019, 11:42:41 PM »
1. Imagine an idea of what I want and how the character fits into the plot/setting

I'm stuck here.

vripley

• Administrator
  • temet nosce
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2019, 11:58:45 AM »

I'm stuck here.

HA! Well... We could use a person who is a hearty fighter, quick (and accurate) with a bow, can heal party members, and able to cast powerful attack and defense spells. Did I mention that psionics would be a plus? Oh, and can he sneak and pick locks? LOL

Honestly, think wizard or fighter (or combination) and you'll be golden. We are going to need some frontline guys...

TylerDurdinUMD

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2019, 08:10:46 PM »
I think Mvslider should make a tactician. Someone to direct everyone else in the fight, and then get all the credit for their hard work.  Then, as we get up to about level 10, he can sell us off to one of the Dukes and retire to his equestrian estates...

mvslider

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2019, 09:05:09 PM »
I think Mvslider should make a tactician. Someone to direct everyone else in the fight, and then get all the credit for their hard work.  Then, as we get up to about level 10, he can sell us off to one of the Dukes and retire to his equestrian estates...

Sounds vaguely familiar...

mvslider

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2019, 09:05:48 PM »
Honestly, think wizard or fighter (or combination) and you'll be golden. We are going to need some frontline guys...

OK. Let me go over character classes one more time.

TylerDurdinUMD

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2019, 09:29:45 PM »

Sounds vaguely familiar...

...although if you're starting at level 1, that means you have to make a basement troll of the "online fighter pilot" class. 

Dbelgard

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2019, 10:41:11 PM »
If we need frontline... and this is the type of party that can handle a palidin - then Iím happy to go paladin cavalier.   If itís an evil group I can go dark paly cav.

hatchethand

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2019, 10:36:54 PM »
Shi-no-bi! Shi-no-bi!

Vaughn rolled up a character for me, because I'm too slow. CLERIC, bitches...I'm going to look at it now and see if he's wielding a two-handed flail...

Dbelgard

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2019, 06:56:57 AM »
Vaughn let... nay.... encouraged me - to make my own (after he first sent me the most generic dwarf paladin ever).... I think I may have broken the system :)