Author Topic: Journal - Vaughn's Notes  (Read 125 times)

vripley

• Administrator
  • temet nosce
Journal - Vaughn's Notes
« on: June 07, 2019, 11:24:28 AM »
Jerry has inspired me to start-up the old online journal again...

I have been dealing with about fourteen months of injuries and bleeds (I'm copping out), and have not really worked out steady for almost a year-and-a-half. That all changed on January 1, 2019. I am not a fan of New Year's Resolutions, because I truly believe every day should be a day for resolutions! That said, timing worked perfectly and I was feeling fantastic and injury free... So, I started back up.

January 2019
For the first month, I went with light weights (or body weight for a few moves) and did full body workouts three times per week. Dealt with some soreness and stiffness that should be expected for not working out.

February-March 2019
I have always enjoyed HIT (High Intensity Training) created by Arthur Jones and perfected by Dr. Darden. Since I hadn't worked out in so long, I needed to do the prior month of build-up, and even then I was starting HIT at very low weight numbers, because it can be extremely taxing. My left knee started acting up (from previous bleeds) so I had to lighten my squat to only the weight of the bar for a bit. I didn't want to skip squats, because as my buddy Jerry is fond of saying, "You gotta grease the skids." Anyway, a few weeks of bar only squats and my knee was feeling much better, so I started adding a little bit of weight with each session.

April-June 2019
Switching gears, I moved from HIT to hypertrophy training. I am doing a 5-day push,pull,legs routine (Pull, Push, Legs, Pull, Push on Mon-Fri). I only do one leg day because I incorporate deadlift into my first pull day and I also run and bike... Plus, I find that squatting once per week is a good range for me to be in without running into knee or lower back issues (get to know your body).

Beach!!!
The last half of June and the first week of July I will be doing three weeks of deload, as I travel to a few beaches and allow my body to recoup from all of the aggressive workouts I've managed to sneak in... When I return from vacation, I plan to start Wendler's 5/3/1 and crush it!

July and Beyond 2019
More to come soon as I wrap up my hypertrophy phase and move into strength training.....

*me about to crank out 13+ reps of 70# dumbbell bench press.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 11:28:09 AM by vripley »

vripley

• Administrator
  • temet nosce
Re: Journal - Vaughn's Notes
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2019, 11:16:39 AM »
My last week of hypertrophy, and I upped the weight some to prepare my body for the transition to 5/3/1. Here are my PRs at this stage (along with my goals to reach by January 1, 2020):

Military Press: 145# (1/1/20 goal: 160#)
Deadlift: 305# (1/1/20 goal: 345#)
Bench Press: 225# (1/1/20 goal: 250#)
Squat: 210# (1/1/20 goal: 285#)

*note: my Squat and Deadlift are low because of an injury, and I hope they will improve quickly to get me back to where I was pre-injury.

Starting on July 8th, here is what my first week of 5/3/1 will look like:

Day 1 Military Press (3 sets of 5 reps each) at these weights: 85, 100, 110
Day 2 Deadlift (3 sets of 5 reps each) at these weights: 185, 215, 240
Day 3 Bench Press (3 sets of 5 reps each) at these weights: 135, 155, 175
Day 4 Squat (3 sets of 5 reps each) at these weights: 125, 145, 160
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 10:13:28 AM by vripley »